Smart-ID: A Smart Way to Use Your e-Residency
Smart-ID is fast becoming part of a digital revolution in the Baltic States with a record-breaking 85 million transactions made by users in March this year, marking the highest volume of transactions since its launch in 2016. With its ease of use, extra security, and convenience at your fingertips, it is of no surprise that with over 3 million active users including users within Estonia’s e-Residency program, it has become the most popular tool for providing digital authentication for documents, online banking, and access to a range of digital services in Estonia.
So, what exactly is Smart-ID?
Created by Estonian company SK ID Solutions, the clever people behind the development of the original Estonian digital ID card system, Smart-ID is a mobile phone app designed to provide quick and easy access to e-services without the need to insert your Estonian digital identity into a card reader. It’s genuinely one of those services that have been designed to make your life easier – and there’s no catch!
How do I get started with Smart-ID for e-Residency?
Getting set up with Smart-ID is super quick and super simple! All you need is an internet connection, a smartphone, and of course your Estonian digital ID card and card reader. Follow our quick step-by-step guide to be set up within minutes:
Step 1: Download the Smart-ID app
To use Smart-ID, you need to download the app onto your smartphone. The app is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
Step 2: Register your Smart-ID account
Once you’ve downloaded the app to your smartphone, you need to register your Smart-ID account. To do this, you will need to enter your personal information, such as your name, ID number, and phone number. You’ll also need to create a PIN, which you’ll use to authenticate your identity when logging in to e-services.
Step 3: Link your Smart-ID to your e-Residency account
To use Smart-ID for e-Residency, you need to link your Smart-ID account to your e-Residency account. To do this, log into your e-Residency account and go to the “Settings” section. Under “Authentication”, select “Smart-ID” and follow the instructions to link your accounts.
Step 4: Use Smart-ID to log into e-services
Once you’ve linked your Smart-ID to your e-Residency account, you can use it to log into e-services. When logging into a service that uses Smart-ID, you’ll receive a push notification on your phone asking you to confirm the login. Simply confirm the login and you will be able to access the service.
What are the key benefits of Smart-ID for Estonian e-residents?
- You do not need a card-reader device! Instead, it’s really simple to access e-services directly via the app on your smartphone or tablet.
- It’s free! The service providers cover the costs, so you don’t have to.
- It’s a simple way to authenticate your Estonian digital ID – so no more going into shops or banks in person when you need to set something up.
- It’s valid for three years, or until you revalidate it.
- It has been universally adopted across Estonian private and public sector services – so has plenty of uses from wherever you are!
- If you lose your Estonian digital ID card or if it expires then you can continue to use the Smart-ID app to operate your business whilst you arrange for a replacement.
Which Estonian e-services can Estonian e-residents access with Smart-ID?
There are hundreds of e-services available to Estonian e-residents across private and public sectors via the Smart-ID app. Here is a list of service providers available to e-residents with Smart-ID:
- Banking services including online banking
- Healthcare services including hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies
- Energy suppliers for invoice payment
- Access to insurance and pension funds
- Educational services
- Public services including payment of taxes
- Business software solutions including accounting software
- Entertainment & Sports services including gym memberships
- Commercial services including booking a ferry!
…and many more!